Sunday 2 November 2014

Where Do I Fit In?

As I was browsing ChoralNet discussions this evening, I came across an interesting topic from a high school choir director, Garrett. At first I was unsure if I should even comment on this, but after some thinking I've decided that I will share.

"Hello, colleagues!
This topic could be placed in several categoris, and I am suprised that I couldn't find this same scanrio in post history. There are two issues:

What to wear?
I have a high school aged alto who is in the beginning process of transition from female to male. She has states she feels more comfortable in a tux, but is open to what our organizaation feels is best, and would be willing to wear a dress.
Have you had experience with a sitatuion like this before? Did you have him/her match his/her section, or how she/he identifies him/herself?

Where to sleep?
How do you make room assignments with transgender singers? With their current biological sex, or the gender with which they identify?

Thank you for sharing your experiences!"


I am not transgender nor do I know anyone personally who is transgender. And although I support the LGBTQ community, I am heterosexual and don't claim to have any kind of knowledge on how LGBTQ people feel or any struggles they face.

I think the answer to the first question is obvious. Allow the student to wear what he feels most comfortable in. Since he is transitioning to male, it is obvious that he wants to be seen as such. It won't make the choir look "off" aesthetically and if that is a major concern, then have him stand next to the tenor or bass section.

The second question is more tricky. It is something that needs to be discussed with school administration and potentially the school board. If there is no policy in place, then I suggest speaking with the student and his family as well as potential roommates. I think it's safe to assume that this student is out as a transgender so his peers know. Hopefully an agreement will be reached where everyone is comfortable. If nothing seems possible, perhaps a single room would work best.

What are everyone else's thoughts on this issue? Garret, the choir director, seems accepting of his student and hopefully you all are as well.

3 comments:

  1. I think we need to be careful in our assumptions. We cannot assume that this student, even though he is transitioning to male, wants to be seen as such all the time. I have transgender friends who are very sensitive about language (gender names, etc.), but still dress as both male and female and, at times, wear make-up. Let transgender students wear what they are most comfortable in. Whether a student wears a skirt or a pair of pants in a concert is not a big deal in the grand scheme of life. As far as room assignments on school trips, I think that you make some good points, Emily. This requires discussion first with the student, then with his/her parents and related administrators until a conclusion has been reached. A fresh discussion would need to take place with each student as situations arise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as there is open dialogue in the situation, I'm sure it could be handled properly. The worst case scenario is for this to be a negative experience for the student, one that they will always remember as a traumatizing experience. No one wants that.
    Talk with the student, ask what they would prefer. Talk with parents, ask what they would prefer. Administration. The Guidance counsellor. If you as a teacher show the student that you truly care and are willing to help them out, there is hopefully little that could go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think even if this student says they will wear whatever is expected of them, they are still saying this to the teacher who is in a position of authority. They may be less comfortable in this than they are letting on. I can't see any harm in letting them wear whatever they feel most comfortable in - they're still sticking with the concert attire of the choir by wearing one of the two mandated uniforms.

    I think we as a society are really still "figuring out" issues with personal privacy and people of various sexual orientations. This is a point of contention when considering changing rooms, billeting and hotels, and bathrooms. Recently a Nova Scotia transgender (male -> female) student was suspended for using the girls' bathroom. I like to think that the best way to resolve this issue is through communication - discussing gender-neutral bathrooms, private changing stalls, etc. Perhaps in this case she would do best to talk with some students she would feel comfortable sharing a room with, and open up conversation with them, their parents, and the teacher. If school board policy prevents males and females from billeting together, then perhaps it is time to challenge that, as well. (but baby steps, first.)

    ReplyDelete